Saturday, July 19, 2008

The One & Only: EGO


"Man's ego is the fountainhead of human progress" (Ayn Rand)

It is not a coincidence, perhaps, that I am sitting by the fountain on the spread-out avenue directly facing the skyscraper - that same one, where exactly one year ago I climbed up to nearly the very top for that memorable encounter - the "starting point", if you like.... I'd be lying if I claimed I had no idea what I was signing up for... But it's true that the madness of the ultimate, albeit brief saga was, indeed, beyond my wildest imagination.

If I could turn back the time, I would, without a shadow of a doubt, trace the same steps from A to B... Maybe more cautiously... But maybe not.

Very few tangibles can represent quite so much on a very personal level - buildings are buildings, you may say, and why would I disagree, normally... But sometimes they carry a certain aura of what used to be, and ironically - that, which will never be ever again. A mere routine, the way of life, I suppose.

The insurmountable difficulty of letting go what's been left unsaid, even more so than pondering over what you know can't be undone. Turning your back on that which meant more than words can describe is the toughest task of all... Pretense and ignorance can only stretch their intended capacity to the point up until they both naturally make a predictable transition towards duplicity.

And none of this will represent anything of value to anyone except... the "EGO".

No comments: